Fall is my favoritest of all seasons. The changing leaves, the brisk air, the aroma of rich spices—there’s nothing else quite like it. I’m a fall baby, too, so I’m 100% biased. Give me all the sweaters and apple pickens, please.
I love to host in the fall. This mulled cider with brown honey rum in apple cups is one of my staples. Picture it: the happy chatter of friends in the background, a roaring fire, the scent of cinnamon, clove and allspice … all embodied in one precious cup. Each one takes about two minutes to make and will surely wow your guests at those intimate fall gatherings—whether it’s just me and the hubby or some darn good company.
You can find mulling spices easily online, but every few years I stock up on my favorite kind. That, plus a dabble of Dogfish Head’s Brown Honey Rum that Hubby and I bottled together last January at this awesome event, this fall cocktail has become, quite possibly, my favorite recipe of fall-time. 🍂
Food for thought: mulling spices make for a good mulled wine, too. Just sayin’.
Homemade Mulled Cider with Rum in Apple Cups
Makes 6 to 8 servings
½ gallon apple cider
½ dz. large apples, any variety
– 1-2 thinly sliced for mulling
– 4 scooped out for serving
2 ½ tbsp. mulling spices
1 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
Dark brown sugars
Honey, for apple rim
A few jiggers of Brown Honey Rum
Cloth spice bag
- Add mulling spices to your cloth spice bag. Tie the end of the bag to one of the handles of your saucepan. Pour apple cider into saucepan. Add apple slices and fresh nutmeg to taste.
- On medium-low heat and with the pot covered, bring the cider to a rolling simmer, about 5 minutes. Remove the lid and let simmer for thirty more minutes at minimum.
- Core and scoop the flesh from your apples with a spoon. Reserve flesh for applesauce or jams.
- Place dark brown sugar on a plate. Drizzle honey along the rim of your scooped apples. Turn the apple upside down and lightly dab top + sides into brown sugar.
- Pour your mulled cider into each apple cup, reserving room for half a jigger of brown honey rum. Garnish with a cinnamon stick and serve warm.
Happy Fall!! 🍎