If you’re a green thumb gal like me, you’ve got more houseplants than you can count (which is a nice way of saying I currently have 59 😂). #plantproud
Gardening passions aside, I’m also a crazy cat lady in the making; a chick who’d be OK leaving her last day on Earth with a hundred cats in tow. When you combine the two, you’ve got to consider non-toxic houseplants that won’t kill your pretty kitty.
Not gonna lie, I’ve been fortunate in the realm of cat grazers, but a recent client’s four-legged cutie patootie thoroughly enjoys to snack in the homewild. Below is a list of ten common house plants that are not only decoratively lush, they’re proven to be 100% safe for Sylvester.
Thanks Mother Nature. You da bomb. 👊🏻
1) Boston Fern, Nephrolepis Exalta Bostoniensis
2) Spider Plant, Chlorophytum Comosum
3) Cushion Aloe, Aloe Retusa
4) Staghorn Fern, Platycerium Bifurcatum
Source: Homestead Seattle
5) Ponytail Palm, Beaucarnea Recurvata
6) Majesty Palm, Ravenea Rivularis
Source: Wayside Gardens
7) Burro’s Tail, Sedum Morganianum
Source: World of Succulents
8) California Pitcher Plant, Darlingtonia Californica
9) American Rubber Plant, Peperomia Obtusifolia
10) Ice Plant, Lampranthus Piquet
IF YOUR KITTY IS A GRAZER …
If you’ve got yourself a grazing house cat, here’s a short list of (sadly some of the best indoor plants) that are poisonous plants to avoid:
- Jade Plant, Crassula Arborescens
- Hydrangea, Hydrangea Arborescens
- Monstera, Monstera Deliciosa
- Fiddle-leaf Fig, Ficus Lyrata
- Peace Lily, Spathiphyllum
- Split Leaf Philodendron, Philodendron Bipennifolium
- Elephant’s Ear, Alocasia
- Aloe, Aloe Vera
- Bird of Paradise, Poinciana Gilliesii
- Pothos, Epipremnum Aureum
- Snake Plant, Sansevieria Trifasciata***
GREEN THUMBS!! WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE NON TOXIC HOUSEPLANTS?
🌿 LEMME KNOW BELOW. 🌿
***Editors Note: This article mistakenly claimed the Snake Plant to be non toxic houseplant, however it is, in fact, toxic to cats. The article has been corrected and #10 has been replaced by the ice plant.